As the school year comes to an end, children are eagerly anticipating the arrival of summer vacation – a time to relax and forget about reading, writing and mathematics. However, learning does not have to stop when the school year is over and summer vacation begins. Summer can be viewed as an opportunity for children to improve and reinforce their academic skills. Research has shown that students experience learning loss when they are not engaged in educational activities during the summer. As a result, many parents enrol their children in educational based activities such as summer tutoring programs to prevent learning loss. Here are some additional advantages to enrolling your child in a summer tutoring program:
- Students can get a head start on school in the fall
- Students can master a difficult subject or skill from the previous year
- It allows for continuous learning – previously learnt concepts are not forgotten
- Students can learn at a comfortable pace with materials that are interesting and motivational to the individual child
- Typically there are less distractions than their regular classroom
As you can see, summer tutoring has many benefits. We’d love to hear about your child’s experiences with summer learning.